Friday, August 24, 2012

A square peg in a round hole

The first lesson we learned when I eased our family into homeschooling earlier this year is that square pegs don't fit into round holes. But, the lesson wasn't for the kids, it was for me. I tried to fit my four little square peg boys into a regimented, traditional classroom round hole. Rookie mistake. And although I had been warned of this rookie mistake, I have a bad habit of trying mistakes on for size.

Here's a typical homeschooling lesson plan when I first started:
1. 9:00 am: Put baby down for a nap. Sing "This is the Day that the Lord has Made! Let us Rejoice and be glad in it!". Mom, I don't want to sing today! Aaron, sing the song, keep a steady beat on your lap. Rejoice....BE GLAD!
2. Calendar time: Turn around the number for today and discuss the month, day and year. Boys, don't touch the calendar, Aaron has to learn what month it is! Wait, the baby's up from nap already!? Okay, I'll wait a minute, maybe he'll go back to sleep. 
3. Reading Workbook: Complete Lesson 2. Why is it four pages long? Okay, it's four pages long, we have to do four pages because that's how long the lesson is. Aaron, sound out "b-e-d". Why is he flopping on the floor!? Oh Lord, my son will never read. I heard a 3 year old reading the other day, why can't my 5 year old read one word?!? Oh yeah, the baby...
4. Math: Lesson 5. Okay, I can nurse a baby and keep Aaron on track in his math book and keep the twins from pummeling each other. Boys, share! I'm huuuungryyyyyy!!! Don't bite your brother. What's that smell? ...........Okay, school's done......When does Kindergarten enrollment begin!?!?!?!? 



Shhhhhh....
Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth. Psalm 46:10

It still took me a good month to finally take God's chill pill and realize that I could just do school with Aaron during the littler kids' nap time in the afternoon, or in the evening, or the weekends. And, that any success we experience is because of Him and failures are not that big of a deal. Since then things have gone much smoother and our days go a little something like this: 

Mom, can I do my reading workbook? Sure. Can we do a puzzle? Sure. Will you play balloon volleyball with me? In a few minutes, I'm coloring with your brothers right now and then I have to change the baby's diaper, and switch out the laundry, and clean up the kitchen. Aaron, you need to do your math before lunch. Okay. Hey boys, let's walk down to the park and collect rocks and bugs and sticks and things along the way. Yeah! The speed limit is 55, but I'm going 45, how much faster can I go and not get a ticket? Mom, can I say my memory verse? Do it! 

You get the idea. And, no, not all the tantrums and "what is happening!?" moments have gone away and I am "guiltily" thankful for Netflix and that they will sit and watch a show whenever things get too crazy. But, I feel like I can handle the craziness because the big picture is more eternal. My boys are learning to be respectful, obedient, to encourage each other, to take it slow, to learn and grow as you go throughout each day. I'm learning to be respectful, obedient, to encourage them, to take it slow, to learn and grow, and depend on God to see us through each day. Patience...ahhh...patience. I want to teach them patience more than anything! My boys will receive a well rounded education (I know, I'll need of help when it comes to teaching grammar!), but I'll strive to set the bar on something more eternal.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent post..I am not even homeschooling and I needed to hear this today. Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post! Thanks for being so honest that homeschooling is usually very messy. The best-laid plans fail because kids are kids. But I love the eternal perspective and my kids are learning so much more than textbooks.
    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete