Friday, August 31, 2012

Chapter Book Challenge

I'm taking up the challenge from The Homeschool Experiment blog  and making a plan for reading chapter books to Aaron (almost 6) this school year. I started reading chapter books to him when he was 4 and I love snuggling up on the couch and reading to him. I look forward to when the younger ones can join in on long chapter books. As part of our homeschool curriculum we chose the Sonlight Core Curriculum, which is a great bunch of read-alouds (including bible, history, poems and chapter books) with a plan and a reading/writing curriculum. It makes the overwhelming choice of what great books to read to your children simple. You can purchase the entire curriculum with books, or take a look at their book list and find them at your library or order on amazon.

September: Little House in the Big Woods (purchased a Unity Study for $2 from here)
October: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
November: The House at Pooh Corner
December: A Grain of Rice
January: Gooney Bird Greene
February: Detectives in Togas
March: Henry Huggins
April: Owls in the Family
May: The Case of the Gasping Garbage
June: Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Other Chapter Books we've enjoyed:
Charlotte's Web
Stuart Little
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Dolphin Treasure
My Father's Dragon
The Hundred Dresses
Twenty and Ten
The Boxcar Children
In Grandma's Attic
Mary on Horseback

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Those are exactly the level my kids are at and you've given me some new ideas. I look forward to your reviews! :) Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your reading list!! We just started doing a couple of chapter books with Skye and I was looking for ideas on what to read her next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kate! A few of those I've never heard of - can't wait to see what you think of them.

    ReplyDelete